Friday, October 19, 2012

Education Budget Cuts



In an editorial from the Burnt Orange Report Ben Sherman talks of the recent drop of Texas students SAT scores since 2011. 

He parallels the drop of scores to the governments 2011 educational budget cuts. He expands of Governor Rick Perry's earlier statistics of test participation rates rising amongst Hispanics and African-Americans. He argues that just because participation rates are increasing doesn't mean test scores are. Sherman states that only 47% of Texas students are graduating prepared for college. He sites that low percentage to the states education budget cuts. Crediting Sherman's beliefs is the Austin-based Center for Public Policy Priorities. They brought attention to recent reports that the Texas state and local funding for Pre-k through 12th is 11.2% lower than those in 2008. I believe the intended audience for this editorial to be parents with kids within the public school system who are concerned with their children's educational future. 

That being said, though I may not be a parent I am concerned about the budget cuts. I can say myself that I was not seemingly well prepared for college and I scored slightly average on my SAT. And with more cuts predicted to come in 2013 I can only see the percentage of well educated students to decline more

No comments: